BECOME A MENTOR
Kristen French CACN is developing a team of young mentors ages 18 and up to support youth 9 – 15 years of age who have experienced abuse and have received help through various programs and counselling.
In partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters – St. Catharines, Thorold & District the role of the 1:1 mentor requires training, appropriate matching and a dedicated commitment of 1 year. Volunteer mentors will be subject to an interview and background check in accordance to BBBS and Kristen French CACN standards. Mentors will learn about the impacts of child abuse, resilience, maintaining appropriate boundaries and what it means to be a mentor, through the mandatory training sessions delivered by BBBS and Kristen French CACN.
The 1:1 Mentoring program requires 2+ hours each week with scheduled outings and a minimum 1 year commitment. Through regular outings, a relationship is developed between the mentor and mentee, which is built on trust and common interests.
The program strives to do the following for both mentor and mentee:
• Provide a role model and a friend for all youth,
• Promote the importance of staying in school and healthy relationships with family and peers,
• Instill trust and self-confidence in order to make healthy decisions,
• Encourage leadership skills and independent thinking; and
• Make a difference while having fun
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer mentor, please fill out the application below or if you have any questions about the program please call us at 905-937-5435 x7024.