2021 CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS – TREASURER
The Kristen French Child Advocacy Centre is seeking expressions of interest from community leaders to further explore involvement with the Board of Directors with a focus on financial acumen.
About the Kristen French Child Advocacy Centre
The Kristen French Child Advocacy Centre transforms lives by providing a safe and supportive environment where children and youth can speak about their experiences to professionals, heal from adverse childhood experiences and build resilience so they can overcome the debilitating effects of childhood trauma and realize their potential.
Working collaboratively with the Niagara Regional Police Service, Family and Children’s Services Niagara, and Family Counselling Centre Niagara, the Centre is a charitable, community supported organization serves Niagara’s 12 municipalities helping children, youth and families cope with the life altering impact of physical or sexual abuse, neglect, or of being an unwilling witness to violence.
About the Board Treasurer Role
The board treasurer will oversee the financial matters of the Kristen French Child Advocacy Centre and will ensure that effective financial measures, controls, and procedures are put in place, and are appropriate for the charity. This includes ensuring that the charity is in line with industry best practices, and adheres to accepted by-laws, legislation and CRA guidelines.
Six to ten hours per month (board meetings, meetings with the Executive Director, committee meetings)
Term of Office
Two years with the possibility of renewal for a second term.
Roles and Responsibilities
The treasurer will offer guidance to the Executive Director in ensuring good fiscal planning, decision-making and oversight at a governance level. Principle duties are to:
- Provide a written report on the current financial position of the charity at each board meeting;
- Oversee the development of high-level financial policies and their review by the board;
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and its presentation to the board for review;
- Ensure that the appropriate monthly or quarterly financial statements are reviewed by the board;
- Ensure that the board regularly monitors the organization’s financial performance and alerts it to any important discrepancies between planned and actual figures;
- Ensure that the organization maintains the appropriate financial books and records and that these are accurate and up-to-date;
- Ensure that all remittances are submitted on a timely basis;
- Ensure the financial components of the T3010B Information Return are completed in an accurate and timely manner;
- Ensure that payroll and other liabilities are settled in a timely manner;
- Be aware of CRA guidelines/regulatory requirements with respect to financial compliance;
- Serve as a co-signer of cheques with at least one other signing officer;
- Ensure that excess funds and reserves are properly held and invested;
- Verify that donations are handled appropriately and that grants, and service delivery contracts are accounted for in accordance with the requirements of funders;
- Meet with the external auditor annually, or more often if needed to identify any financial control and record keeping problems or deficiencies and oversee action by the Executive Director to address them;
- Recommend to the board the need for a review or renewal of the auditing services provided;
- Assist the Executive Director and board chair with the development and presentation of the annual report;
- Present or co-present the organization’s financial report and recommend appointment or reappointment of auditor at the Annual General Meeting;
- Help, along with the Executive Director, to keep the board informed of important financial events, trends, and issues relevant to the organization.
The treasurer is also a member of the Executive Committee, and will support the following initiatives when and where such are necessary:
- Annual Audit
- Budget Development
- Financial Policy Development
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and strategic directions;
- An understanding of, and experience with, good financial management and reporting practices;
- A professional accounting designation or equivalent; other relevant work experience considered;
- An appreciation of the kind and level of financial information needed at a board level to support decision making;
- An ability to commit the time required to fulfill the responsibilities described.
The Kristen French Child Advocacy Centre is committed to recruitment of a Board of Directors that is reflective of the communities we serve, including consideration of age, ability, gender, race, culture, skill, networks and societal perspectives.
Please submit an expression of interest with resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
by 5:00 PM on Friday, April 23, 2021 for consideration. We would like to thank all for their interest but only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.